Why a Home Inventory Is Important
If you have a home claim, can you list all of your belongings from memory? Most of us can’t, so it is a great idea to create and maintain a home inventory.
How do I create a home inventory?
- Home Video – You can walk through your home with a camcorder and make a video showing and describing your belongings. Make sure to open drawers and cupboards as you go.
- Photos – You can walk through your home and take pictures of your rooms and belongings. Make sure to label these photos with descriptions and details.
- List – You can make a detailed list of all of your belongings.
Additional tips for creating, maintaining, and storing your home inventory:
- Whenever possible use descriptions that include manufacturer information and serial numbers.
- Try to keep receipts for your records, especially for higher priced items.
- Update your home inventory whenever you purchase new furniture or after you have received new belongings.
- Store your home inventory in a safe location outside of your home. A safety deposit box or a trusted family member or friend’s home may be a good option.
The Insurance Information Institute has a FREE online tool that can help you create your inventory. Just visit www.knowyourstuff.org for more details.